Grange Hill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Grange Hill Reply with quote

Carty returns to BBC's Grange Hill

Popular BBC children's programme Grange Hill will celebrate its 30th anniversary next year. To celebrate, the channel is putting on a one-off special - featuring former EastEnders actor Todd Carty, who played mischievous pupil Tucker Jenkins.

The star told The Mirror: "It's been hugely nostalgic and quite emotional. I was sitting having lunch in the canteen with all the kids and getting a little misty-eyed." The 44-year-old continued: "I was one of them 30 years ago. I'd wake up every morning excited about going to the studio. That was the best time of my life."

Carty also waxed lyrical about the series' refusal to avoid thorny subjects, which made it not only groundbreaking telly, but excellent drama too. The fictional London-based comprehensive has provided the backdrop for many storylines including rape and heroin addiction. Carty explained: "Before Grange Hill, kids' TV had all been 'jolly hockey sticks' and Billy Bunter. No one had been brave enough to try anything different. But kids could really identify with Grange Hill and each generation since has grown up with the characters from their era - Tucker or Zammo or Gonch or Robbie."

The series also gave Carty his own spin-off show, Tucker's Luck. He then went on to achieve national fame as Mark Fowler in EastEnders, before creating a new persona in The Bill - sinister copper Gabriel Kent.

-------------------

That's quite mad to think it was 30 years ago...
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday. I used to race home from school the nights Grange Hill was on. It was a great kids' show. 2thumbsup
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister was in a few episodes (nothing major / non credited)...

I too made it into a few scenes when they did outside shoots...

I liked what little I saw of the show, not sure if I'd like my kids to watch all the old ones tho.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker Jenkins returns for last-ever episode of Grange Hill tonight
15th September 2008

The Grange Hill school bell rings for last time today as the final episode of the series is screened, with a return of one of the show's most popular characters. After 30 years, the long-running show has not been recommissioned and will end on BBC1 at 4.35pm with a guest appearance by old favourite Tucker Jenkins, played by Todd Carty. Jenkins, who first appeared in the show in 1978, returns to offer current pupils some advice.

Phil Redmond, creator of the drama set in a fictional London school, said earlier this year that "the point has been lost", claiming the BBC had abandoned the 12 to 16 age group which made up the show's core audience. He said storylines had been softened to ensure the series appealed to a younger audience. He said at the the time: "I do now think the point of Grange Hill has been lost, and 30 years is a nice time for it to hang up its mortar board."

But writers have made sure the last show will be a memorable one. Set on the last day of term, an unexploded bomb is discovered underneath the school.

Tony Wood, creative director of Lime Pictures, said: "It has been a privilege to be involved with one of the great titles in the history of British television. I am proud of the relationship that Lime has built and maintained with the BBC over the past few years and look forward to working with them on future projects."

The first episode of Grange Hill was broadcast on Wednesday February 8, 1978 and soon outraged parents with storylines concerning drug addiction, teenage pregnancy and racism. Perhaps the most controversial storyline was in 1986 when Zammo Maguire developed a heroin addiction. The show's cast then participated in a Just Say No campaign and released a single which peaked at number 5 in the UK charts. In May of that year, the cast and crew were invited to The White House by Nancy Reagan, who was involved the American Just Say No project.

Golden days: The cast of Grange Hill's first ever series in 1978
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misslisalynn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to see Grange Hill go, it was a good show for kids. I didn't think the last show was that great and you couldn't really tell it was the last show. We are going to miss the antics of the Johnson kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: