I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! - 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here! - 2008 Reply with quote

The new series starts on Sunday and will be available in the streaming tv section... I've not looked at who else is in it, but knowing Kilroy Silk is there suggests there's going to be plenty of personality clashes - he'd get up anybody's nose...
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to this, as are all my kids, Plus, I actually know some of the "celebrities"

I wonder how long it will be before someone cracks a joke along the lines of "I'm sure George Takei has put nastier things in his mouth than a (insert the name of a indigenous Australian bug)"

I tip George to win.

seshme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Webbe seems to be there as the token heterosexual.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I heard of a REAL man in panto was Ross Kemp a couple of years back. He's nails.

pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I like George Takei. He has such an interesting voice. He's a bit strange/eccentric, but I think he's got a sense of humor when the voice suggests otherwise...lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
seshme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
The last time I heard of a REAL man in panto was Ross Kemp a couple of years back. He's nails.

LMAO!

Is there anything less cool than getting the shit kicked out you by your wife when she catches you in bed with another man?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only used him as an example of how this show is just panto - will you be watching like millions of others who want to be entertained or will you find something more manly to do?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the contestants, including Carly Zucker, arrive in Brisbane, tension has already begun to boil over after it emerged that some are being paid far more than others

But the contestants, such as singer Simon Webbe, kept it lighthearted as they walked through the arrivals lounge

Dani Behr arrives at Brisbane airport. The former television presenter says she will be happy to eat kangaroo testicles for the sake of the group

Joe Swash, ex-Eastenders' actor, says he has been taking advice on tactics from last year's winner, Christopher Biggins

Esther Rantzen's children are "appalled and astonished" by her decision to appear on the show

Former chat show host Robert Kilroy-Silk and Brian Paddick, who ran in this year's Mayor of London election, have been warned they are not to use the show as a soapbox for their political careers

Upon arrival George Takei was supposed to be met by a security team. But he sauntered through the Arrivals hall unnoticed and then spent 30 minutes wandering around the airport looking for help

Tennis champion, Martina Navratilova, is planning to use the show to air her annoyance at US government legislation on gay marriages

Glamour model, Nicola McLean, has stated "I'm going to love being on camera. I'm a natural show-off,"

I don't think I've seen Dani Behr since she was on The Word back in the early 90s - she's matured well!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a celebrity – get me back in there!
As a new batch of hopefuls enters the jungle, ex-contestant Christine Hamilton offers some timely advice
By Christine Hamilton
15 Nov 2008

I am absolutely NOT watching I'm a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! I repeat this mantra every year. But no doubt I'll be tuning in with millions of others tomorrow as the cavalcade of tantrums and tears in the Australian jungle becomes compulsive viewing. Hunger, frustration, fatigue, fear, boredom and sexual tension will combine to create friction, feuding and the whole gallimaufry of celebrity emotions for our diversion and delight.

From the comfort of our armchairs, stomachs replete, glass of wine in hand, we will watch the ritual manipulation and humiliation of 10 people, carefully selected from those daft enough to put themselves forward for reality TV. God forbid they should get on and exhibit the camaraderie of the WI. We want a gladiatorial spectacle, blood on the camp floor, fisticuffs over the fire. Opinionated, confrontational, pathetic and irritating, they will be skewered, grilled and served up as our nightly fare.

We'll get complaints about starvation, constipation and flatulence. The last two will be genuine gripes but don't be fooled by the first; they'll get enough rice and beans with some mighty fine – if unusual – food lowered in most evenings if they succeed in the trials. They'll come out leaner, fitter and detoxed – lucky devils!

I should know. I lost nearly a stone when I took part in the first series in 2002 – a pleasing side-effect of the now legendary BushTucker Trials, variations on a sadistic theme which continue to enthral with awe, horror and disgust. Few can imagine having to eat eyeballs, testicles or being covered in slime, rats, cockroaches, snakes, spiders and all manner of charming jungle goodies. Some trials now trespass on degradation but, presumably, there's a limit beyond which ''Elf 'n' Safety'' will not let them go. In the original series we had little idea what 'to' expect, but now ignorance is no excuse.

As the first celebrity line-up we were a motley crew: beautiful model Nell McAndrew, Scottish Left-wing gay comedienne Rhona Cameron, former "It-girl" Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, spoon-bending psychic Uri Geller, former boxing champ Nigel Benn, singer/actor Darren Day and evergreen DJ Tony Blackburn. The sparks were flying before we even left the holding hotel and viewers were riveted by the fiery rows that daily dominated the camp.

Among whom will the sparks fly this year? After all, we've got some big beasts in this year's jungle, into which no one goes without their eyes, careers and wallets open. Martina Navratilova, 52, possibly the greatest tennis player of all time, is certainly the biggest star the jungle has ever sought to contain. She doesn't need the money (£30,000) and doesn't need to prove anything, so I guess she sees it as just another challenge she can win. We won't see her whingeing and wimping, but will she suffer Wags gladly?

Esther Rantzen, 68, will find the fee useful (£25,000) and she clearly shares my philosophy that it's better to regret the things you do rather than the things you don't. A high maintenance lady, she will find the realities of camp life tough. I suggest she adopts my approach, rolls up her sleeves and sterilises the loo (a hole in the ground) every day with boiling water from the fire – otherwise, in the tropical heat, it will be disgustingly smelly and there's no point waiting for the young to deal with it. Esther's smart and won't put up with fools or, I imagine, airheads.

Brian Paddick, 52, Britain's most senior openly gay policeman, seemed incredibly dull when standing for London Mayor (perhaps that's why he's only being paid £15,000) and I doubt he will be any more fascinating in the jungle. He says if there are any tears he'll be joining in, so I tip him for an early exit. Presumably Robert Kilroy-Silk (£15,000), the former Labour MP, chat-show host and now MEP, whose own family describe him as "difficult", no longer harbours serious political ambitions. But can the oleaginous 66-year-old cope with other prima donnas, equally determined to take their own place in the circus ring?

At 71, gay actor George Takei (£20,000), better known to millions as Mr Sulu from Star Trek, is the oldest contestant to date, boldly going where most men dare not tread. He hopes his love of sushi has prepared him for anything, but raw fish wrapped around rice seems no match for a 'roo ball.

I know nothing about Dani Behr, 37, Carly Zucker, 24, and Nicola McLean, 25, but, clearly, they will be racing to be first to get into an itzy‑bikini. Nicola, a minor Wag (Peterborough United), is, apparently, a silicone-enhanced "glamour model" which means she takes her clothes off professionally. Carly, a Premier League Wag (fiancée of Chelsea footballer Joe Cole) is a fitness trainer. Dani is a retired Wag (Ryan Giggs and Les Ferdinand) who is now married to an Aussie surfer. The fur has already started to fly when the trio discovered the discrepancies in their fees – £40,000 for Dani, £10,000 for Carly, but only £7,500 for Nicola.

This year's male "totty" is provided by former EastEnders actor Joe Swash, 26, who admits to being "aggravating" sometimes just for pleasure, and former boy-band Blue star Simon Webbe, who says he's a serial flirter. Nothing wrong with that; so am I, but a married lady of my age is not taken seriously (more's the pity) whereas the young can get carried away with jungle fever and cause mayhem to relationships back home.

I relished my time in the jungle, positively enjoyed roughing it, and found it liberating not to have to bother about hair, make-up or clothes. I didn't particularly want to share my sleeping space with a snake but flopping unwashed into a hard bunk was no problem. The real trial, as this year's contestants will discover, is getting on with each other. Will their irritating habits assume unbearable proportions? The answer is a resounding "yes", but we survived and I remain on good terms with them all – with the exception of Tara Palmer-Tomkinson who proclaimed afterwards that she "never wants to see or speak to that woman again".

The only aspect I found almost too much to bear was the total lack of privacy. The cameras are on you everywhere. You quickly forget about the static ones, largely unseen, but a crew follows you if you leave the camp for any reason, all the while probing you with questions about the latest row. There is no hiding place, no peace, no solitude.

However, for those involved the next three weeks will be unforgettable. For some the exposure will act as a mighty springboard to re-launch careers, while others will slip back into the obscurity from whence they came. While you're there, there seems no other life outside, but falling back into the real world is easy. It takes a matter of minutes to readjust to warm baths, champagne and civilization.

Seven years later, I am proud to have been a pioneer and always feel more than a twitch of envy as I watch a new group in "my" camp. Would I do it again? You bet. Get Me In There!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever seen this show. I don't really watch alot of reality TV (Deadliest Catch and Jon and Kate Plus 8 are the only two). Do we have this in the States?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's an american version, but there have been a fair few americans on it. Janice Dickinson (ex-wife of Bruce, the Iron Maiden frontman) was on last year and was great for a laugh.

The first show's tomorrow night and it's on every night for three weeks. I always used to hate all reality shows, but this was the one which made me see that it's a lot more entertaining than I thought.

Here's a clip from last year's show... it was pitch black in there, so he had no idea... haha

SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you were kidding about Janice Dickinson being thre ex wife of Bruce Dickinson, Face, but just to put my 2p in, I am not aware that they have ever been married and I have been a Maiden fan since about 1980. Bruce is not particularly fond of Americans (something he has been pretty vocal about) and even though he has a child with an American woman, I can't really imagine him marrying one of us! UP THE IRONS!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they said that she was his ex on the show, but I could be wrong.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways weeks later ...I finally caught up ....and was so happy to see who the final three and winner was Very Happy Aja is such a softie..... cheers face i enjoyed that Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: