The Windasses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coronation Street star Mikey North left with a broken jaw after street attack
15th April 2009

Coronation Street actor Mikey North was left with a broken jaw after he was beaten up in a vicious attack over Easter Weekend. The 22-year-old soap star, who plays Weatherfield bad boy Gary Windass, was hospitalised after he was beaten by two assailants in Scarborough, Yorkshire on Saturday night.

North was walking home from a nightclub with his girlfriend and some friends when he was set upon by two thugs. Reports suggest the assailants teased North about his role in the ITV soap before the fight. He was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery following the attack.

A spokesman for the soap said: 'There was an incident at the weekend which resulted in Mikey North sustaining facial injuries. He was treated in hospital and the matter is now in the hands of the police.' A North Yorkshire Police spokesman said: 'A 19-year-old male has been arrested in connection with the incident. He has been released on bail while police inquiries continue.'

Corrie bosses have now arranged filming schedules around him to accommodate his recovery period. North's character Gary is no stranger to fighting on the streets of Weatherfield. Since he arrived on the cobbles in November, Gary has been involved in several clashes with next door neighbour David Platt and nearly went to prison after one of their fights.

-----------------

The power of soaps...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrie star in dramatic new storyline
Mar 10 2010
Scarborough Evening News

SCARBOROUGH actor Mikey North is set to take part in a controversial storyline in ITV's Coronation Street which will see him flee his army barracks. Mikey, 23, of Cayton, plays the street's bad boy Gary Windass, who goes AWOL after seeing a soldier who has lost his legs and an arm while serving in Afghanistan.

Gary decides he cannot cope with the harsh realities of battle and returns home to Weatherfield before he is due to be flown out to Afghanistan. Coronation Street producers consulted with officials from the Ministry of Defence while devising the topical storyline.

Mikey told the Evening News last year that he was looking forward to an "interesting" and "controversial" storyline for 2010. He said: "It is going to be a great storyline and people will definitely be able to relate to it. Gary is the first character to serve in the armed forces in Coronation Street. It is interesting and I am looking forward to working on this storyline." His new plotline is expected to begin next month and continue until May. The show will see Gary's family shocked by his return and they will slowly come to realise that something is amiss. However, by the time they do, Gary goes on the run again.

Mikey joined the soap in 2008 as a troublesome teenager. He was noticed as an actor at the age of 18 by an agent while he performed in a play at Scarborough Sixth Form College. His first professional work was in the play Bottle Universe in London's West End. The performance won him the British Theatre Guide's aware for the most promising newcomer. Mikey has also had small TV roles in The Bill, Britannia High and Waterloo Road.

------------------

Good stuff, I've been quite pissed off at all the 'Brits' bullshit that was wrapped around him joining up, so it's good to know it was part of the buildup!

If he goes back after running away I might have to go al-qaeda on them!
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he thought he was going to be stationed on the beaches of Afghanistan and served cocktails when he signed up? I guess his character is much more stupid than he was made out to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
funkyfunkpants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
I guess he thought he was going to be stationed on the beaches of Afghanistan and served cocktails when he signed up? I guess his character is much more stupid than he was made out to be.

Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Windass caught up in bomb blast

Coronation Street seem to be upping their game recently with some terrific storylines to beat their rivals Eastenders, which makes you wonder if the new producer of Coronation Street has woken up the writers from their months of being asleep. The Latest storyline that will rock the street is the return of Gary Windass played by Mikey North who has been injured fighting for his country

Gary Windass who was last seen waving goodbye to his mum and dad as he went off to fight for his country, will return after being caught up in a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. Viewers do not have to wait to long for the storyline; next week will see his parents receive the devastating news.

Gary explained to Soap Life: "He has a broken arm, broken ribs, an injured leg and shrapnel wounds to his face. But the worst injury is the mental one. He's a different Gary to the one you last saw. When his parents come to the hospital, they're shocked at the state of him." Gary will be seen coping with what happened to him and viewers will also watch how he deals with his close friend dying.

Mikey North added: "I think his army career will be over after this incident. I can't see him wanting to go back at any point. He'll get better but I think an experience like that stays with you for the rest of your life. Gary can never forget the terrible things he's seen."

------------------------

What's the betting that they don't mention a thing about the people of Afghanistan who are killed and injured? Hopefully I'm wrong though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: