doing some improvements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: doing some improvements Reply with quote

I've been working on sorting a decent portal (front page) for the site and after checking loads of different versions, I've ended up with this...

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/portal4.php

I'll tidy it up more, but if anyone has any suggestions about what you want, or not, to see there please feel free.

The topics featured are the last 5 new topics posted in public areas.
Twirley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: doing some improvements Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've been working on sorting a decent portal (front page) for the site and after checking loads of different versions, I've ended up with this...

I'll tidy it up more, but if anyone has any suggestions about what you want, or not, to see there please feel free.

The topics featured are the last 5 new topics posted in public areas.

Interesting...I like the way the new look opens you up to forums you may not usually frequent. It looks like there is more going on and also it's different...unique, and that I like. It's still comforting to know that you can go to the navigation at the left and go back to the forum style that is familiar. Very hi-tech, Face. You been thinking about this for a while...? I need your brain for my interview on Tuesday.

high5
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I can see you've put a lot of work into it Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It opens everything up a lot more to the forums.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way it looks, Face. Not so sure about whole posts on the front page...that will take a bit of getting used to, but I like it. It looks like a newspaper. My vote (since here in the States we are in that mode!) is to go for it! Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I like the way it looks, Face. Not so sure about whole posts on the front page...

yeah, that is a bit of a problem - I'll look into it. But I'm glad you and others like the idea so far. I'll work on it over the week and hopefully have it all set and neat before long.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I've set things now to something more useful - there are now the last 8 posts listed on the portal page and each message is limited to 200 words. It's never going to be perfect, because of the way it reads permissions, but I'll work on it more anyway...

It only works on bluetabs theme just now, but once it's finished I'll port it into the others.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it...and now that I have posted on it, I see how it works (the Berbatov posting got me all fired up!)...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's it pretty much sorted now - whenever someone goes to www.couchtripper.com they'll go to

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/homepage.php

the normal index remains unchanged. I've still to edit the flash banner link, but the nav bar on the left works.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed there's an error in the front page which means if there's multiple quotes in a post the layout gets messed up, so could you all try to make sure that you only quote the part of a message you're actually replying to?

This will make things easier to read in general too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: